[Local events] Reminder: Sun. 3/8, Michael Cross & Emily Kendal Frey

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sat Mar 7 00:11:52 PST 2009

Spare Room presents

*Michael Cross
Emily Kendal Frey*

Sunday, March 8
7:30 pm

Concordia Coffee House
2909 NE Alberta

$5.00 suggested donation

www.flim.com/spareroom
spareroom at flim.com

*Upcoming Readings*

April 5: John Tipton, Brandon Shimoda, & Beth Murray
May 10: Beverly Dahlen & David Abel
May 17: Andrew Schelling & music by Michael Stirling
June 14: Anne Gorrick & Deborah Woodard

*Michael Cross* edited the anthology /Involuntary Vision: after Akira
Kurosawa's Dreams/ (Avenue B, 2003), a companion piece to the New
Brutalism reading series he founded in Oakland in 2002. He publishes
Atticus/Finch Chapbooks (www.atticusfinch.org), co-edits /On:
Contemporary Practice/ (with Thom Donovan and Kyle Schlesinger), and is
currently editing a collection of lectures on George Oppen. His book /In
Felt Treeling/ is just out from Chax Press.

*Emily Kendal Frey* lives in Portland and teaches at Portland Community
College. Recent work appears or is forthcoming in /Bird Dog, DIAGRAM,
Fou, Handsome, Mudlark, New York Quarterly, Sink Review, Spinning Jenny/
and /Washington Square Review/. Work from /Something Should Happen at
Night Outside/ (a collaboration with Zachary Schomburg) can be found in
/Anti-, Diode, Sir! /and/ jubilat/. Collaborations with Sarah Bartlett
can be found at /Alice Blue /and /Caffeine Destiny/, among others.

(beneath the sycamore
drew crystal to the wood
spun iron lungs
affixed
the trees breathe shade
lisp addled haling
open mouth, o wisp

*Michael Cross*

*BLUE*

Latex paint makes walls cleaner and shinier.
People go away on purpose.
"We can make it if we try" becomes a popular phrase.
I know I'm not a nice person.

*Emily Kendal Frey*