[Local events] FWD: Thursday 3/12, RACC presents to City Council

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Wed Mar 11 02:54:53 PDT 2009

from Susan Elshire, via Mark Owens:

Thursday, March 12
2:00 pm

City Hall, Council Chambers
1221 SW Fourth Avenue

RACC will present its annual “State of the Arts” presentation to
Portland City Council this Thursday. We will not be discussing the FY10
arts budget request in this presentation, but rather we will focus on
all of the smart work RACC has been doing this past year to leverage the
City’s investment as much as possible to deliver vital programs and
essential services in the community.

Mayor Sam Adams said that he would like to see “lots of arts advocates”
in the room when this report is presented, so that City Commissioners
will see for themselves how many people care about arts and culture.
It’s a critical first step for the arts community to come together as
the Council begins weighing some very difficult budget decisions this
spring.

Our ultimate goal is to preserve arts funding as much as possible in
FY10, and possibly win some additional funds for Work for Art, The Right
Brain Initiative, and the Creative Advocacy Network.

Susan Elshire
Creative Advocacy Network (CAN)
susan at theArtsCAN.org
(503) 501-5022