[Local events] FWD: Wed.-Thurs. 3/25-26, Ben Rivers at Cinema Project

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sat Mar 21 23:40:11 PDT 2009

*Ah, Liberty!
The Films of Ben Rivers

*(Beyond Borders Program I)

Wednesday, March 25 & Thursday, March 26
7:30pm (doors open at 7pm)

Artist in attendance

Cinema Project
11 NW 13th ave. 4th floor (b/w burnside & couch)
$6 suggested donation

For further information: 503.232.8269  www.cinemaproject.org

We The People [2004, 16mm, b&w, sound, 1 min.]
Old Dark House [2003, 16mm, b&w, sound, 4 min.]
HOUSE [2005/7, 16mm, b&w, silent, 5 min.]
The Coming Race [2006, 16mm, b&w, sound, 5 min.]
Astika [2006, 16mm, color, sound, 8min.]
Dove Coup [2006, 16mm, b&w, sound, 2 min.]
Origin of the Species [2008, 16mm, color, sound, 16 min.]
This Is My Land [2006, 16mm, b&w, sound, 14 min.]
Ah, Liberty! [2008, anamorphic 16mm, b&w, sound, 19 min.]
A World Rattled Of Habit [2008, 16mm on video, color/b&w, sound, 10min.]
I Know Where I'm Going in-progress [2009, 16mm on video, color, sound,
10 min.]

We welcome British filmmaker and programmer Ben Rivers for two nights of
screenings of his much-acclaimed 16mm films. In 1996, Ben cofounded and
has since comanaged/programmed Brighton Cinematheque -- renowned for
screening a unique program of film from its earliest days through to the
latest artist's film and video.

The films of Rivers are beautifully shot and hand-processed documents
showing old, crumbling houses and folks living out of the way in shacks
and tall grass. In his films there is an intimacy and appreciation for
his subjects, which is protected by limited revelations and sparse
soundtracks. The films are landscapes, but not old-fashioned, or tending
towards the ideal; there is a reality and brutality in the imagery.

In Astika, a Danish recluse says "they're only here because I let it go
wild, but no one sees that," meaning first the birds and frogs, and then
the people forcing him off his overgrown land. These are scenes from a
child's paradise, complete with piles of spare tires and spinning
cookies in broken-down cars in an empty field. They are current, common
histories, odes to freedom fighters that would have, in the past, come
in ballad form. A sense of freedom runs throughout the films, suggesting
any rural setting where safety does not trump the joy of smashing around.

Additional information available at www.benrivers.com and
www.vertigomagazine.co.uk