[Local events] Spring Literary Arts Workshops at MAC

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Mar 23 13:09:46 PDT 2009

Spring Literary Arts Workshops at Multnomah Arts Center

The full catalog of spring classes at MAC can be downloaded at
www.multnomahartscenter.org.
For more information, or to register, call 503-823-2787.

-----

Writing & Reading Poetry
David Abel

In this workshop, we’ll look at how poetry works, as writers and as
readers. We’ll write in response to exercises, and in response to what
we read; we’ll read closely one another’s work, and the work of other
poets both familiar and not. The challenge of reading poetry pays off in
two ways: empathy for the situation of our readers, and the discovery of
new possibilities. Open to anyone (beginner or veteran) who writes
poetry and wants to deepen their understanding of the art.

Tuesdays 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
March 31 - May 26 [9 classes]

-----

Fiction Writing for Beginners
Susan Wickstrom

Are you ready to write the Great American Novel? Or do you simply want
to express yourself? Beginning fiction writers will find inspiration and
support through discussion and in-class exercises. No writing experience
necessary.

Thursdays 7:00 pm-8:30 pm
April 2 - June 4 [8 classes; no class on 4/23 or 5/21]

-----

Memoir Writing: The Literature of Memory
Lyssa Tall Anolik

Memory is not logical or tidy, but it is infinitely interesting. Learn
how to take the details that make up your life and turn them into
memoir, poems, or even fiction. We will engage in the free-writing
process using prompts to trigger and unlock the stories hidden within
you. We’ll address and put aside the inner critic, so that you may
engage your creative process in a safe and encouraging environment.
We’ll draw from Natalie Goldberg’s, “Old Friend from Far Away,” and
other texts. No writing experience necessary. All levels welcome.

Wednesdays 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
April 15 - May 27 [7 classes]

-----

Lifestory, Lifepath
Barbara Schramm

A good life story is one of the most important gifts we can offer
ourselves, our children, our friends, and our community. A meaningful
life contributes in generative ways to those around us. With that in
mind, this workshop will give you an opportunity to write your own life
story that may have become buried or eclipsed. This supportive class is
open to writers of all abilities.
Wednesdays 9:30-11:30 am
April 8 – May 27 [8 classes]

-----

Children's Writing: Let Your Imagination Fly (Ages: 8 - 12)
Lyssa Tall Anolik

Fly to the moon! Sail to the stars! Send thoughts aloft on a paper
airplane. Imagine yourself an astronaut or bird & write stories or
poetry about your travels! Students are welcome to support their writing
with illustrations. Increase communication & self- expression skills
while improving basic writing abilities.
Mondays 4:30 pm-5:30 pm
Apr. 20 - May 18 [5 classes]

-----

Writers’ Roundtable – April Henry

Get up-close and personal with mystery writer April Henry, the author of
five adult
mysteries including the four-book Claire Montrose series that began with
Square
in the Face. Henry also writes popular young adult thrillers such as
Shock Point
and Torched. She has been nominated for several literary prizes
including the
Oregon Book Award and the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Award.
Moderated by Susan Wickstrom. Limited to 15 participants.

Wednesday May 13, 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm