[Local events] FWD: Wed. 4/8, Mecca Normal at Holocene

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Mar 26 22:03:28 PDT 2009

Mecca Normal: "How Art & Music Can Change the World"
25th Anniversary Tour

with Tom Greenwood (Jackie-O Motherfucker).

Wednesday, April 8
8:30 pm

Holocene
1001 SE Morrison
$6.00

http://www.holocene.org/calendar/

Jean Smith is the author of two published novels and the recipient of
two Canada Council for the Arts Awards as a professional writer of
creative fiction. David Lester is a small press publisher of fiction and
award-winning poetry and the author of The Gruesome Acts of Capitalism.

Together, as the legendary rock duo Mecca Normal, they've released 13
CDs (Kill Rock Stars, K Records, Matador).

"How Art & Music Can Change the World" -- Jean Smith and David Lester of
the literary underground rock duo Mecca Normal intend to inspire
audiences to consider adding political content to their creative
self-expression, to fortify a new optimism that cultural activists can
impact progressive social change.
http://howartandmusiccanchangetheworld.blogspot.com

"Arguably the greatest rock band without a rhythm section ever, the duo
of acid-voiced singer Jean Smith and guitar hero David Lester must be
seen to be believed." -- Douglas Wolk

When I started my zine -- Smarten UP! -- back in 1984, I gave it the
tagline "A How to Change the World Publication" -- twenty-five years
later we're heading off on our "How Art & Music Can Change the World"
lecture series.

The focus of the art exhibit is David Lester’s Inspired Agitators Poster
Series http://www.freewebs.com/meccanormal/inspiredagitators.htm

"How Art & Music Can Change the World" -- 9 minute film
http://blip.tv/play/AeqrLwA

Lyrics http://meccanormallyrics.wordpress.com
Newsletter http://meccanormal.wordpress.com
Mecca Normal Links http://meccanormallinks.wordpress.com