[Local events] FWD: Tomorrow night, Wed. 4/1, free lecture at PNCA

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Tue Mar 31 15:21:33 PDT 2009

W.J.T. Mitchell
“The Future of the Image”

Wednesday, April 1
6:30 pm
Free admission

Swigert Commons
PNCA
1241 NW Johnson St.

A scholar and theorist of media, visual art, and literature, W.J.T.
Mitchell is associated with the emergent fields of visual culture and
iconology (the study of images across the media). Mitchell is Professor
of English and Art History at the University of Chicago and the
long-time editor of the interdisciplinary journal, Critical Inquiry, a
quarterly published by University of Chicago Press devoted to critical
theory in the arts and human sciences. He is the author of Picture
Theory; Iconology: Image, Text, Ideology; and Blake's Composite Art;
among other books.

Mitchell is widely known for his work on the relations of visual and
verbal representations in the context of social and political issues. In
his most recent book, What Do Pictures Want?: The Lives and Loves of
Images (University of Chicago Press), Mitchell states, “Perhaps the
redemption of the imagination lies in accepting the fact that we create
much of our world out of the dialogue between verbal and pictorial
representations, and that our task is not to renounce this dialogue in
favor of a direct assault on nature, but to see that nature is already
part of the conversation.”