[Local events] FWD: one-day workshop: ekphrastic poetry

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Tue May 12 15:28:32 PDT 2009

(information about a one-day poetry workshop this summer, cosponsored by
Multnomah Art Center and the Portland Art Museum)

Join us for a new Poetry Workshop at the Portland Art Museum!

MAC is pleased to partner with the Portland Art Museum to offer this
exciting new program.  Please join poetry instructor Joseph Bradshaw for
an eye-opening workshop that explores the intersection where visual and
literary art meet.  Writers of all levels and traditions are welcome to
participate.

Poetry: Art becomes Muse     Ages:  18 & Up

How can we re-express a visual image through poetry? How can we transfer
the lines and colors of, say, a painting into lines of verse? How do we
re-portray a portrait through writing? We will explore these questions
and more as we tour the various galleries of the Portland Art Museum,
writing in response to visual artworks. We'll look at and respond to art
in all media, from traditional to contemporary to folk, viewing each
poem we produce on its own terms, through the lens of possibility.  This
class meets at the Portland Art Museum (1219 SW Park  Avenue) in the
Kinney Classroom promptly at 10am.  Museum admission included in course fee.

298164  Sat. July 18, 10am-4:00pm   $48.00  [1 class]

What to expect

Start the day with an exploration of great poems written in a tradition
called "ekphrasis," which means "a literary description of or commentary
on a visual work of art."   Then, after a guided tour of the Portland
Art Museum, summon your muse and create your own work stimulated by the
art that moves you.  Finally, reconvene to share your creations in this
supportive group environment.

About the Instructor

Joseph Bradshaw earned an MFA from the Iowa Writers' Workshop in 2008.
He is the author of two chapbooks of poetry ("The Way Birds Become" and
"This Ocean, or Oppen Series"), and regularly contributes reviews and
criticism to Cultural Society and Rain Taxi.  Currently, he lives in
Southeast Portland and teaches at Portland State University and Pacific
Northwest College of Art.

Poetry:  Art becomes Muse - Teen Focus       Ages:  13-19

Can you awaken your senses through poetry?  How many poems exist within
a painting?  How many paintings exist in a poem?  We will explore these
questions and more as we tour the various galleries of the Portland Art
Museum, writing in response to visual artworks.  In this special
workshop for teen writers, every piece is viewed on its own terms
through the lens of possibility, rather than judged according to some
arbitrary measure of merit.  Come discover yourself as an artist of
words!  NOTE:  This class meets at the Portland Art Museum (1219 SW Park
Avenue) in the Kinney Classroom promptly at 10am.  Museum admission
included in course fee.

298163  Sat.. Aug. 1  10am-4pm     $25.00  [1 class]