[Local events] FWD: Sat. 5/30, planning meeting for October Econvergence

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu May 28 08:12:17 PDT 2009

from Kaia Sand:

Greetings all!

This is a follow-up email to the February meeting at People's Coop of
Engaged Artists Confronting the Crises; some of you were there, and
others expressed interest (and others, well, I hope you don't mind that
I've added you to this correspondence, too).

I wanted to let you know that the econvergence -- the gathering in the
fall around the economic & climate crises--is moving forward, and that
it would be fabulous if culture workers could be a force in this
planning / organizing / staging. There is a planning meeting this
Saturday (2:00-4:00 pm at the First Unitarian Church, SW 12th & Main);
I'll be attending, and I encourage you to, also, if you are interested.

At the end of this message is a description of some of the goals for the
econvergence. Noam Chomsky is lined up as a keynote speaker. The event
really needs some creative thinkers and practioners to help shape it.

Additionally, Maryrose Larkin has kindly offered to help build a
listserv for local & engaged artists. A place to send an email such as
the one I've just written, to post events, organize regarding the
economic & climate crises, and perhaps spark some conversations around
artistic practice and politics. I will send out some invitations for
joining the listserv, and when I do, please feel free to pass it on. If
you have any thoughts on this/advice for what priorities you might have
for such a listserv, please backchannel me.

Very best,

Kaia Sand

----------------------

Northwest Regional Gathering

GLOBAL FINANCIAL MELTDOWN . . .
. . . IRREVERSIBLE CLIMATE CHANGE

TWIN CRISES: TIME FOR ACTION
on the Economic and Environmental Crises

October 1-4, 2009
Portland, OR

Keynote Speaker:
NOAM CHOMSKY
others tba

The worst economic crisis since the Great Depression is accelerating.
Foreclosures, bankruptcies, and layoffs continue to rise as older
generations watch hard earned savings vanish, younger families live in
fear of layoffs and bills they cannot pay, immigrants face increased
detention and deportation, and students despair of finding jobs when
they graduate. Meanwhile the government persists in futile attempts to
rescue the insolvent banks whose reckless behavior triggered the crisis
through trillion dollar bailouts at taxpayers’ expense.

The greatest environmental crisis humanity has ever faced continues
unabated. Temperatures rise and ice melts as the planet lurches forward
into dangerous, unchartered waters. Meanwhile well-heeled lobbyists for
fossil fuel industries gear up once again to stymie attempts to reduce
greenhouse gas emissions in Washington DC and State legislatures across
the country.

Join a growing coalition of activists from movements including labor,
environmental, peace, gender, student, and human rights organizations
from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Northern California, in conversation
with citizens, elected officials and academics, to explore the way
forward. The four day gathering will include a keynote speech by Noam
Chomsky, teach ins, workshops, panel discussions, debates, a final
strategy session and a variety of cultural events. A decade ago the
“Battle for Seattle” during the World Trade Organization Ministerial
meetings sparked a critical reevaluation of neoliberal globalization.
Now that this model has been thoroughly discredited it is time for us to
collectively determine what comes next.

ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE.

Join us at this Great Gathering in Portland.

PANELS
WORKSHOPS
STRATEGIZING MEETINGS

Get involved in organizing!

Next general meeting at the First Unitarian Church of Portland, SW 12th
Ave. and Main St., Portland,
Saturday May 30th, 2-4 PM

To co-sponsor, or for additional publicity materials and information
contact: greatgatheringpdx at gmail.com
Hosted by: The First Unitarian Church of Portland