[Local events] Literary arts at Multnomah Arts Center

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sun Sep 6 16:42:16 PDT 2009

Fall session literary arts classes and workshops

Multnomah Arts Center
7688 SW Capitol Highway

To register, or for more information, call 503-823-2787.

Full catalogue (including classes for children and adults in art, dance,
theatre, music, ceramics, textiles, metal arts, printmaking,
photography, etc.) available at www.multnomahartscenter.org

*Writing & Reading Poetry *
Ages: 18 & Up

In this workshop, we'll look at how poetry works, as writers and as
readers. We'll write in response to exercises, and in response to what
we read; we'll read closely one another's work, and the work of other
poets both familiar and not. The challenge of reading poetry pays off in
two ways: empathy for the situation of our readers, and the discovery of
new possibilities. Open to anyone (beginner or veteran) who writes
poetry and wants to deepen their understanding of the art.

301934 Tu. 6:30 - 9:00 pm
Oct. 6 - Dec. 15 [10 classes; no class Oct. 13]
*David Abel *

*Workshop: Art becomes Muse *
All Ages

Discover the many gems the Portland Art Museum has to offer -- while
writing poetry! Through guided tours and independent study, we'll learn
how to transfer the lines and forms of paintings and sculptures into
lines of verse. In this one-day workshop we'll look at and respond to a
variety of works while simultaneously learning about the rich literary
history of poems written in response to visual artworks. All experience
levels welcome. Museum admission included in course fee.

302711 Sat. 1:00 - 5:00 pm
Oct. 17 [1 class]

*Poetry: Art becomes Muse *
Ages: 18 & Up
(see description above)

302712 Th. 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Nov. 05 - Dec. 03 [4 classes] *
Joseph Bradshaw *

*Writing From Experience*
Ages: 18 & Up

A good life story is one of the most important gifts we can offer
ourselves, our children, our friends, and our community. With that in
mind, this workshop will give you an opportunity to write your own life
story that may have become buried or eclipsed. Whether you wish to keep
your writing to yourself or share with others, this class will help you
get started.

301937 Tu. 9:30 -11:30 am
Oct. 13 - Nov. 17 [6 classes]
*Barbara Schramm *

*Creative Writing for Families*
Ages: 6 & Up

Want to learn something new about your kids or parents? Every member of
a family sees their shared experiences differently. Discover each other
through a new lens while polishing writing skills in a supportive,
informal atmosphere and learn how to bring writing into your home. In
this class you might write a collaborative story about a favorite event,
journal together or on your own, make an activities calendar, invent new
names and titles for family members, or compose a poem describing what
makes your family unique. Enroll three family members and the fourth is
free.

302745 Sat. 10 am - 12 pm
Nov. 14 - Nov. 21 [2 classes]
*Amy Minato *

*Writing Fiction*
Ages: 16 & Up

Are you ready to write the Great American Novel? Or do you simply want
to express yourself creatively? You will discover inspiration and
support through discussion and inclass exercises. No writing experience
necessary.

303277 Th. 7:00 - 8:30 pm
Oct. 08 - Dec. 03 [8 classes]
*Susan Wickstrom  *