[Local events] Winter Literary Arts Workshops at Multnomah Arts Center

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Jan 7 00:15:14 PST 2010

Winter Literary Arts Workshops at Multnomah Arts Center

There's still time to register for these workshops, starting soon!

Please forward or post.

The full catalog of classes at MAC can be downloaded at
www.multnomahartscenter.org.
For more information, or to register, call 503-823-2787.

===================

*Right Brain Writing*
/Donna Prinzmetal/

You don't have to be a professional writer to produce powerful and
imaginative creative work. Through a series of enjoyable, illuminating
exercises, right brain energy is channeled into the making of creative
vignettes, word portraits, poetry, and short stories. The right brain's
connection to sensation is also explored as you learn to make your
writing come alive through image, metaphor, voice, and surprising
language. Dreams, music, painting, and poetry are used to provide
inspiration. Experienced poets and prose writers as well as those who
have never written before are welcomed.

310682  Mondays  7:00 pm - 8:30 pm  January 11 - March 15  [8 classes]

*Writing & Reading Poetry*
/David Abel/

In this workshop, we'll look at how poetry works, as writers and as
readers. We'll write in response to exercises, and in response to what
we read; we'll read closely one another's work, and the work of other
poets both familiar and not. The challenge of reading poetry pays off in
two ways: empathy for the situation of our readers, and the discovery of
new possibilities. Open to anyone (beginner or veteran) who writes
poetry and wants to deepen their understanding of the art.

310679  Tuesdays  6:30 pm - 9:00 pm  January 19 - March 9  [8 classes]

*Creative Writing for Families*
/Amy Minato/

Want to learn something new about your kids or parents? Every member of
a family sees their shared experiences differently. Discover each other
through a new lens while polishing writing skills in a supportive,
informal atmosphere and learn how to bring writing into your home. In
this class you might write a collaborative story about a favorite event,
discover journaling together or on your own, make an activities
calendar, invent new names and titles for family members, or compose a
poem describing what makes your family unique.

310683  Friday, January 29  6:30 pm - 7:30 pm  [1 class]
310681  Saturday, January 30  10:00 am - 12:00 pm  [1 class]

*
*