[Local events] FWD: Publication events for Kaia Sand's Remember to Wave

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Jan 25 09:17:05 PST 2010

from Kaia Sand:

Dear All,

My ongoing /*Remember to Wave */poetry walk is now out as a book from
the good people at Tinfish Press
<http://www.tinfishpress.com/hot_off_the_press.html>. This
poetry/essay/mixed media collection is locally based (investigating the
political history of Portland Expo Center--internment of Japanese
Americans in 1942, the Vanport flood in 1948--as well as present day
goings-on such as trade shows, Rose City Roller Derby action, and
commerce near the Expo Center).

I am grateful that many people in Portland are supporting the work in
various ways:

* This week, /*Street Roots*/ newspaper features /Remember to Wave/.
Carmel Bentley wrote beautifully about the book and the Vanport flood
and the internment of Japanese Americans at the Expo Center. Issues can
be purchased from vendors around town (who all earn money by selling the
paper--75 cents on every dollar--a wonderful micro economy), and, as
always,/ /there are many reasons to read /Street Roots/ (including an
interview with /Street Roots /vendor George Mayes about his
participation in the San Francisco march for federal affordable housing
funding and rights of the homeless).

I will be participating in some *events around town to celebrate the
release of the book,* and I'd be happy for your company:

** Feb. 7 (Sunday)* *4 p.m.* I'll read from the book at *Powell's on
Hawthorne* <http://www.powells.com/calendar.html?start=2010-02>* (*3723
SE Hawthorne Ave, Portland)

** Feb 19 (Friday) 7 p.m*.  I'll read at *St. John's Booksellers*
<http://stjohnsbooks.com/> (8622 N. Lombard St., Portland) in the
neighborhood near the book's focus. I'll be reading with *Allison Cobb*,
who's kicking off her new book, /*Green-Wood*/. Our books both
investigate political history of particular places (the Green-Wood
cemetery in Brooklyn NY for Allison), and both mix essay and poetry.
This reading is especially significant to me because Allison and I
launched our first books together six years ago (with Carol Mirakove in
New York), so I think two times qualifies as a tradition!

** March 29 (Monday) 7:30 p.m*. Allison Cobb and I will read at *Pacific
University* in Forest Grove.

** **April 10**, noon*, I'll lead a *poetry walk* starting at the
Portland Expo Center MAX stop. This walk is hosted by *Pacific Northwest
College of Art (PNCA)* and its new Submit Literary Magazine.

Links to more info for all this and other events that will come up are
at http://www.pen.org/members/sand/ and more info about the book itself
is below.

Many of you supported this work, and continue to do so. Thank you. My
poetry work is never completed in isolation.

All best,

Kaia

http://www.pen.org/members/sand/
http://www.archiveofthenow.org/authors/kaiasand/home.html
http://www.oregonauthors.org/authors/author.php?author_id=317

****
"Woooo weee!--this book is really something! It's both "too much" and
the "total package," and then some--sort of like an "All You Can Eat"
site--a "smelter"--in a rock-alcove below petroglyphs. "Sand" plus
"Wave" plus "Tinfish"--that's the cool combo, combined with Vision,
Heart, Smarts, Reach, Diligence, Direction, and good doses of downhome,
downright Whimsy! Are you ready? Step lively now. Be on alert. Keep up
with Kaia. And REMEMBER TO WAVE!"

Lawson Fusao Inada, Oregon Poet Laureate

Kaia Sand's /Remember To Wave/ maps the temporal palimpsests and
traumatic political history of Portland, Oregon. Sand writes the seen
and unseen city in the spirit of William Carlos Williams' Paterson,
Charles Olson's Gloucester, or Barbara Jane Reyes' San Francisco. She
reads the geography of Portland for its displacements, exclusions,
migrations, disappearances, ruins, and hauntings. Sand asks: "Do we need
our ruins visible?" The answer resonates throughout /Remember to
Wave/ as poetry creates a deeply felt awareness of past and present
injustices. In this profound and threaded mapping, Sand composes "an ode
of accretion"---a song of our ruins rendered visible.

Craig Santos Perez, author of/ from unincorporated territory/

"Do we need our ruins visible?" asks Kaia Sand.  "I carry old maps, but
sometimes the space seems illegible because reclaimed wetlands and
construction changed the shape of the land.  I cross-check books and
oral histories and photographs.  I imagine."  Sand takes the reader on a
guided tour of Portland, Oregon's hidden histories---those of the
internment of Japanese-Americans, the shunting of African Americans into
the part of the city that floods.  Her book is composed of essays, a
poetry walk, and poems that rise out of documents like histories from a
nearly-forgotten past.  Sand shows us how a past can be re-visioned
through research and the poetic imagination.

. Remember to Wave . By Kaia Sand . 2010 . $16
<http://tinfisheditor.blogspot.com/2009/11/tinfish-pre-publication-sale-please.html>

Design by Bao Nguyen

Remember to Wave <http://www.tinfishpress.com/remember_to_wave.html>

Kaia Sand is the author of a poetry collection,/ interval/ (Edge Books
2004), a Small Press Traffic Book of the Year, and co-author with Jules
Boykoff of/Landscapes of Dissent: Guerrilla Poetry and Public
Space/ (Palm Press 2008), and she has created several chapbooks through
the Dusie Kollektiv. Her poems /lotto and tiny arctic ice/ comprise the
text of two books in Jim Dine's /Hot Dreams/ series (Steidl Editions
2008). She lives in Portland, Oregon, with Jules Boykoff and their
daughter, Jessica.