[Local events] Sunday, 12/11: Spahr & Luoma read for Spare Room

jennifer coleman jencoleman44 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:08:59 PST 2011

Spare Room presents

*Juliana Spahr
Bill Luoma*

Sunday, December 11
7:30 PM
Open Space Cafe <http://openspacecafe.com/>
2815 SE Holgate

$5.00 suggested donation

==============================

*Upcoming Readings*
  *February 5, 2012*
Jamalieh Haley, Joseph Lease
*February 11-12*
Barbara Guest's* Collected Poems*
*March 11*
Jen Tynes, Jen Denrow, Dan Singer*
April 29*
*Cloud Shepherd:* Andrew Joron, Joseph Noble,  Brian Lucas
*May 27*
Dan Thomas-Glass, Phoebe Wayne*
June 16*
Brandon Brown, Alli Warren

======================================

*Bill Luoma*'s *Some Math* was released in September 2011 by Kenning
editions. The book is described as "a series of sound poems that both
employ and interrogate the global language of systems and networks.
Astrophysics. Computer science. Short tetrameters. Long dactyls. 9/11. US
military strategy. The energy pathways of acupuncture. The fish ladders of
Gmail. The wires and electrodes of torture. The swirling products of global
capital." Bill is also the author of *Works and Days, Dear Dad, Swoon
Rocket, Western Love* and, with Lisa Jarnot and Rod Smith, *New Mannerist
Tricycle*. Bill was born in San Francisco and now lives in Oakland. He
knows a lot about chemistry, classics, comparative literature, computer
science, connotation, chiasmus, catachresis and some math.

*Juliana Spahr* is the author of *Well Then There Now* (2011); *This
Connection of Everyone with Lungs* (2005); *Fuck You--Aloha--I Love
You*(2001); and
*Response* (1996), winner of the National Poetry Series Award, as well as a
book of criticism, *Everybody's Autonomy: Connective Reading and Collective
Identity* (University of Alabama Press, 2001). From 1993 to 2003, Spahr
co-edited the arts journal *Chain*, which she co-founded with Jena Osman.
She currently lives in Berkeley, California. *Publishers Weekly* says of *Well
Then There Now*: "Spahr's fifth book of imaginative writing (both poems and
prose) should be a blockbuster, a lasting disturbance; a work of crisp wit,
bizarre conjunctions and ultimately enduring moral authority..."

from *Some Math*

    The nothing is declaring for spiegarlo
    who's given to nothing the elasticity of hats
    the crowning of spiegarlo for nothing
    of having the low one look inside the doggie maw of kerberos
    into the expert of the elasticity of the nail of task
    task of the thing the power of we
    trading for the expert the power of I
    for a handle I have a descriptor
    for the price of the paragraphs that control it
    reezing to negotiate the unethical behavior
    molto to shut up of dell the approximated he of timing
    the etc example of paragraphs
    the one great difficulty of this one of paragraphs
    of having of I of the word of best of the spiacente to satisfy
    a work under the new of the radical
    within the change of the social
    believing to create the beautiful model.

>From "Gentle Now, Don't Add to Heartache"

We come into the world.
We come into the world and there it is.
The sun is there.
The brown of the river leading to the blue and the brown
of the ocean is there.
Salmon and eels are there moving between the brown
and the brown and the blue.
The green of the land is there.
Elders and youngers are there.
We come into the world and we are there.
And we begin to breathe.
We come into the world and there it is.
We come into the world without and we breathe it in.
We come into the world and begin to move between the
brown and the blue and the green of it.