[Local events] Winter Lit Arts courses at MAC

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Wed Dec 28 12:46:50 PST 2011

*Spaces are still available in the winter Literary Arts courses at
Multnomah Arts Center:*

/Right Brain Writing/, Donna Prinzmetal
/Memoir Writing: The Literature of Memory/, Lyssa Tall Anolik; Rob Freedman
/Reading & Writing Poetry,/ David Abel
/Creative Writing for Families, /Amy Minato

Full details follow.

For more information, or to register, *call MAC at 503-823-2787*
or go to
https://www.portlandparks.org/register/Activities/ActivitiesAdvSearch.aspto
access all Portland Parks programs.

To download a complete Multnomah Arts Center course schedule, go to
www.multnomahartscenter.org.

*Right Brain Writing*
You don't have to be a writer to produce powerful and imaginative
creative work. Through a series of enjoyable, illuminating exercises,
right brain energy is channeled into the making of creative vignettes,
word portraits, poetry, and short stories. The right brain's connection
to sensation is also explored as you learn to make your writing come
alive through image, metaphor, voice, and surprising language. Dreams,
music, painting and poetry are used to provide inspiration. /Experienced
poets and prose writers as well as those who have never written before
are welcomed./
*356924* Wed. 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm  Jan. 11 - Mar. 14  [10 classes] *Donna
Prinzmetal*

*Memoir Writing*
Anyone can write memoir. We all have stories -- young and old, rich and
poor, famous and not so. Participants will use prompts and other
exercises to trigger and unlock their memories, to zero in on those
moments that are both rich and significant. We'll draw inspiration and
craft secrets from other authors, and we'll address and put aside the
inner critic, so that you may engage your creative process in a safe and
encouraging environment. /No writing experience necessary. All levels
welcome./
*356928* Tues. 10:00 am - 12:30 pm  Jan. 17 - Mar. 13  [9 classes]*
Lyssa Tall Anolik**  *FULL**
*356927* Thur. 10:00 am - 12:30 pm  Jan. 19 - Mar. 15  [9 classes]*
Lyssa Tall Anolik****  *FULL**
*366135* Mon. 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm  Jan. 23 - Mar. 19  [8 classes] *Rob
Freedman*

*Reading & Writing Poetry*
In this workshop, we'll look at how poetry works, as writers and as
readers. Students will write in response to exercises, and in response
to what they read; we'll read closely one another's work, and the work
of other poets both familiar and not. We'll pay particular attention to
revision, exploring various approaches to this crucial process; students
will pursue the poems that they write through multiple and distinct
versions, expanding and focusing their sense of the possibilities of
their own writing. /Anyone interested in writing poetry, and motivated
to write every week, is welcome./
*356922* Tues. 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm   Jan. 10 - Mar. 13  [10 classes]
*David Abel*

*Creative Writing for Families: Valentines */(Ages 6 & Up)/*
*Discover each other through a new lens while polishing writing skills
in a supportive atmosphere and learn how to encourage writing in your
home. Create a family calendar, write a collaborative story about a
favorite event, journal together or on your own, invent new names and
titles for family members, make a poster for your pet, or compose a poem
or song describing what makes your family unique. This session will
focus on creating authentic valentine cards. /Fun and informal. Families
that write, stay tight!/
*356923* Sat. 10:00 am - 11:30 am  Feb. 04  [1 class]*  Amy Minato*