[Local events] Sat. 7/9: Write Like a Bird

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Jul 7 16:47:48 PDT 2011

*Writing Places: Creative Excursions in and around Portland*

/The excursion leaders reflect Portland's avant-garde writing community
and offer unique prose and poetry writing exercises at each place.  It's
great intellectual stimulation . . . If you want to get a different
perspective of the metro area, I highly recommend signing up for one or
more./ -- Artist and writer Paula McNamee

There's still time to register for this Saturday's writing excursion at
Oaks Bottom,  led by poet and Smorg Reading Series organizer Jesse Morse.

For more information, or to register, call 503-823-2787, or go to
http://tinyurl.com/pdxparksonline where you can access all Portland
Parks programs. (To download a complete summer course schedule, go to
www.multnomahartscenter.org.)

*Write Like a Bird: Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge*
/Saturday, July 9, 10:00 am -- 2:00 pm
/
W.G. Sebald compared his writing process to the way "a dog runs through
a field"'; Thoreau encouraged us to write like a fox. Is it possible to
move on the page the way a Great Blue Heron soars through the air? On a
walk through Oaks Bottom, a birdwatcher's paradise, we'll explore how
our animal friends might help us write. We'll read examples, and explore
writing exercises that encourage us to inhabit a space outside our own.
We'll look for critters, bird watch, and simply walk, leaving time for
discussion and feedback.

*Upcoming excursions:*
/*July 23*   Fire + Water = Park/ (Mt. Tabor) -- Jesse Morse and Allison
Cobb
/*July 30*   A Day at the Library/ (Central Library) -- Nate Orton and
James Yeary
/*Aug. 6* / /In Response: Poems on Art/ (Pearl District) -- Lisa Radon
/*Aug. 27*  Borrowed Scenery/ (Portland Japanese Garden) -- David Abel