[Local events] 7/23, Mt. Tabor Writing Excursion with Morse & Cobb

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Tue Jul 12 23:43:15 PDT 2011

*Writing Places: Creative Excursions in and around Portland*

Next up: a writing excursion on Mount Tabor, led by Jesse Morse and
Allison Cobb -- see full description below.

*Fire + Water = Park: Mount Tabor*
/Saturday, July 23, 10:00 am -- 2:00 pm/

In 1903, John Olmsted wrote in his Report of the Park Board, "There
seems to be every reason why a portion, at least, of Mount Tabor should
be taken as a public park." What makes a landscape public? And at what
cost to the environment do cities construct and maintain their imagined
landscapes? In this workshop, we'll wander the heavily visited trails of
Mt. Tabor, examine the reservoirs, and explore the relationship between
a city and its designated landscapes. We'll read, walk, and write, with
time allotted for discussion.

For more information, or to register, call 503-823-2787, or go to
http://tinyurl.com/pdxparksonline where you can access all Portland
Parks programs. (To download a complete summer course schedule, go to
www.multnomahartscenter.org.)

*Upcoming excursions:*
/*July 30*   A Day at the Library/ (Central Library) -- Nate Orton and
James Yeary
/*Aug. 6* / /In Response: Poems on Art/ (Pearl District) -- Lisa Radon
/*Aug. 27*  Borrowed Scenery/ (Portland Japanese Garden) -- David Abel

/The excursion leaders reflect Portland's avant-garde writing community
and offer unique prose and poetry writing exercises at each place.  It's
great intellectual stimulation . . . If you want to get a different
perspective of the metro area, I highly recommend signing up for one or
more./ -- Artist and writer Paula McNamee