[Local events] Excursions: 7/23, Mt. Tabor; 7/30, Central Library

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Jul 18 17:30:03 PDT 2011

There are still plenty of spaces available in the next two MAC writing
excursions, to Mt. Tabor on July 23 and to the Central Library on July
30 -- see full descriptions below.

/Please note that if you are considering signing up for an excursion, it
is best not to wait until the last minute! The decision to proceed with
or to cancel an excursion must be made several days in advance, so early
registration can help prevent disappointment . . ./

*Writing Places: Creative Excursions in and around Portland*

*Fire + Water = Park: Mount Tabor   (course # 352051)
*Jesse Morse & Allison Cobb
/Saturday, July 23, 10:00 am -- 2:00 pm/

In 1903, John Olmsted wrote in his Report of the Park Board, "There
seems to be every reason why a portion, at least, of Mount Tabor should
be taken as a public park." What makes a landscape public? And at what
cost to the environment do cities construct and maintain their imagined
landscapes? In this workshop, we'll wander the heavily visited trails of
Mt. Tabor, examine the reservoirs, and explore the relationship between
a city and its designated landscapes. We'll read, walk, and write, with
time allotted for discussion.

*A Day at the Library   (course #352052)*
Nate Orton & James Yeary
/Saturday, July 30, 11:00 am - 4:00 pm/

See the library as a book of its own: read from its resources of
fiction, fact, art, and music; take as sources the people and pages that
surround you; and respond in writing and artwork of your own. Writer
James Yeary and visual artist Nate Orton (authors of the My Day zine
series) will spend the day with you in the Portland Public library,
guiding you with models, examples, and exercises. Work produced in the
workshop will be compiled into a collaborative follow-up book to James
and Nate's 2009 volume /My Day at the Library/.

For more information, or to register, call 503-823-2787, or go to
http://tinyurl.com/pdxparksonline where you can access all Portland
Parks programs. (To download a complete summer course schedule, go to
www.multnomahartscenter.org.)

*Upcoming excursions:*
/*July 30*   A Day at the Library/ (Central Library) -- Nate Orton and
James Yeary
/*Aug. 6* / /In Response: Poems on Art/ (Pearl District) -- Lisa Radon
/*Aug. 27*  Borrowed Scenery/ (Portland Japanese Garden) -- David Abel

/The excursion leaders reflect Portland's avant-garde writing community
and offer unique prose and poetry writing exercises at each place.  It's
great intellectual stimulation . . . If you want to get a different
perspective of the metro area, I highly recommend signing up for one or
more./ -- Artist and writer Paula McNamee