[Local events] FWD: Tue 8/2, Hatfield reading in Pioneer Square

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sun Jul 31 20:17:28 PDT 2011

READING IN PIONEER COURTHOUSE SQUARE

Tuesday, August 2
1:00 pm

In the "Small Amphitheater Echo Chamber," in the NW quadrant of the
square, just below Starbucks and the chess tables, Roscoe Koppel will
host a reading by Martha Gies, Johnny Stallings, David Milholland, and
others, of Senator Mark Hatfield's August 2, 1989 Senate speech "Peace
Through Strength is a Fallacy."

The event will last about 25 minutes.

On August 2, 1989 on the floor of the U.S. Senate, Oregon Senator Mark
Hatfield delivered a biting condemnation of America's willingness to
waste billions on war.

*/"Is there no ethical dimension to our abuse of natural and human
resources, to our waste of scientific genius, to the bankrupting of the
Federal Treasury /**/to pay for weapons of mass destruction?" /*

As America is convulsed in the 'debt debate' it is an appropriate time
to revisit the words ofOregon's esteemed Senator.

*/"Today we are vulnerable. The national defense of this Nation, has
left us vulnerable, but not because we lack an arsenal. The
vulnerability of this Nation today is that we rank at the bottom of the
list in math and science, and that at least 20 million Americans cannot
read or write. The vulnerability of our Nation is the deterioration and
erosion of our infrastructure, our highways, bridges, airports, our
ports. /**/Our vulnerability today is a nonproductive economy, a
non-competitive economy. Our vulnerability is the people who are without
homes, nutrition, education, health care."/**//*Senator Mark Hatfield --
August 2, 1989