[Local events] Sat. 6/25: Poems on a Train

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Jun 20 12:25:40 PDT 2011

"The excursion leaders reflect Portland's avant-garde writing community
and offer unique prose and poetry writing exercises at each place.  It's
great intellectual stimulation . . . If you want to get a different
perspective of the metro area, I highly recommend signing up for one or
more." -- MAC student Paula McNamee

*Writing Places: Creative Excursions in and around Portland*

There's still time to register for this Saturday's writing excursion on
the Max line -- led by poet, scholar, and PSU professor Joel Bettridge.

For more information, or to register, call 503-823-2787, or go to
http://tinyurl.com/pdxparksonline where you can access all Portland
Parks programs. (To download a complete summer course schedule, go to
www.multnomahartscenter.org.)

*Poems on a Train -- Joel Bettridge*
/Saturday, June 25, 2:00 pm -- 6:00 pm
/
We will ride the Max (Blue line) together, from downtown Portland out to
Hillsboro and back. The train schedule will dictate our writing
experiments, and each stop on the line will have its own writing
exercise. Through these constraints we will interact with the urban and
suburban geographies we traverse, and the people we encounter, to
produce our poems. When we return to Portland, we will gather to share
the results of our experiments. /(Max fare not included in workshop fee.)/

*Upcoming excursions:*

/*July 9 *Write Like a Bird/ (Oaks Bottom) -- Jesse Morse
/*July 23*   Fire + Water = Park/ (Mt. Tabor) -- Jesse Morse and Allison
Cobb
/*July 30*   A Day at the Library/ (Central Library) -- Nate Orton and
James Yeary
/*Aug. 6* / /In Response: Poems on Art/ (Pearl District) -- Lisa Radon
/*Aug. 27*  Borrowed Scenery/ (Portland Japanese Garden) -- David Abel