[Local events] FWD: Thurs. 9/8, Lisa Radon at PAM

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Sep 5 09:33:59 PDT 2011

*Artist's Talk and Happy Hour*

Lisa Radon

Portland Art Museum
Thursday, September 8
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

$5 members; $12 nonmembers
Space is limited to the first 45 ticket holders
Participants depart at 6:00 pm from the Hoffman Lobby.
Talks are followed by a complimentary happy hour until 8:00 pm.

http://portlandartmuseum.org/calendar/events/2011/09/08/Artist-Talk-and-Happy-Hour/

/
/

/Meaning might be thought of as the desire to think something --
anything -- through; the will to make sense out of the ever-present fog
of not-quite-knowing; the recognition of nonsense./
      -- Arakawa and Gins, preface to 1978 edition of /Mechanism of
Meaning/.

Lisa Radon will be talking about the print portfolio, "No! says the
signified" (1973) by Shusaku Arakawa (1936-2010). All of the prints from
the portfolio will be on display for the event in the Haber Study Room.
(http://tinyurl.com/pamarakawa)

Part of Arakawa's larger address, with collaborator Madeline Gins, of
the /Mechanism of Meaning/ (the title of a book by the duo), the works
in the portfolio use stenciled and handwritten words, erasures, and
other marks to question the ways we perceive and the ways we make
meaning. "No more passive reading," they write. How do we make meaning
of the world we "read" or perceive? What's to be gained by knowing how
we do it, what outside influences might color the process? And is art
rather than philosophy the best gateway into thinking this through?

/We remain convinced that "subjectivity" is largely made up of false
constructs that must be neutralized, if ever anything is to begin "to
live unconditionally." Unconditionally to live, that is what a
post-utopia might offer in contrast, yes, even to a utopia, with its
more conservative range of promises, from universal plumbing, more
equality, down to, quite likely, more uniformity in belief. No, the
post-utopia has nothing to offer except a chance finally to know what
you are doing.
/     -- Arakawa and Gins, preface to 1978 edition of /Mechanism of
Meaning/.

//

Traveling the möbius strip of reading and writing in an art context,
Radon writes about art and makes art about writing. She's interested in
the ways language is used to construct, record, preserve, complicate,
and confound meaning. She curated the show /Reading.Writing. /currently
on view at GalleryHOMELAND with work by regional and international artists.