[Local events] Stop the Execution of Troy Davis

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Tue Sep 13 13:41:38 PDT 2011

Because this list is focused on cultural events in Portland, I try not
to stray off topic, and very rarely send out political messages.

But I feel that I have to share this issue, in the hope that a few more
people will add their voices to the those already clamoring to stop the
clearly unjustified execution of Troy Davis by the State of Georgia, now
scheduled for September 21.

Amnesty International, the ACLU, and other organizations are working
hard to convince the Georgia Board of Pardons to to grant clemency
(which in this case means commutation to a life sentence without parole)
-- as are numerous religious and political figures including Jimmy
Carter, Desmond Tutu, Norman Fletcher (Former Chief Justice of the
Georgia Supreme Court), William Sessions (former Director of the FBI),
and even the Pope.

Even -- and especially -- supporters of the death penalty must insist on
the absence of reasonable doubt about guilt before allowing an execution
to proceed. In this case there is only doubt.

You can read about Troy's case here:
amnestyusa.org/our-work/cases/usa-troy-davis?id=1011343, where you can
sign a petition (the ACLU also has a petition at
aclu.org/blog/capital-punishment/troy-davis-execution-set-take-action-today).
A global day of action has been set for Friday, September 16.

Please consider passing this information on to others who might be
concerned, posting it on blogs and social media, and signing one of the
petitions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

DA