[Local events] Spring/Summer Lit Arts courses at MAC

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Fri Apr 13 14:03:38 PDT 2012

There are still a few spaces available in three of the spring Literary
Arts courses at Multnomah Arts Center (including the /My Day/ excursion
to the museum, and Dan Raphael's free workshop on reading your work
aloud). Detailed descriptions below.

Registration is now open for the summer term.

For more information, or to register, *call MAC at 503-823-2787*, or
access all Portland Parks programs at
https://www.portlandparks.org/register/Activities/ActivitiesAdvSearch.asp

Download a complete Multnomah Arts Center course schedule at
www.multnomahartscenter.org

*372990  My Day at the Museum*
Use your hands to see and hear in a workshop tour of the Portland Art
Museum. This literary arts excursion will offer a day writing, drawing,
and exploring the museum's riches, pencils in hand, with your peers.
The workshop will include drawing from life as well as writing from and
about art. At the end of the day, we'll make plans to meet at a later
date to collectively create a chapbook from selections of work produced
during the workshop. The instructors are co-authors of the ongoing MY
DAY zine series, each of which is an exploration of a different location
in or around Portland, undertaken in a single day with pens and paper.
/Museum admission not included./

Saturday, April 21
11:00 am -- 4:00 pm
Nate Orton and James Yeary

*372988  Memoir Writing*
Anyone can write memoir. We all have stories --- young and old, rich and
poor, famous and not so. Participants will use prompts and other
exercises to trigger and unlock their memories, to zero in on those
moments that are both rich and significant. We'll draw inspiration and
craft secrets from other authors, and we'll address and put aside the
inner critic, so that you may engage your creative process in a safe and
encouraging environment. No writing experience necessary. All levels
welcome.

Tues 6:30 -- 9:00 pm
April 17 -- June 12 [9 classes]
Rob Freedman

*372981  Reading in the Rain: Performing Your Poems*
Do you wish that you could read your poems with less fear and mumbling,
more energy and applause? Poets tend to be quiet observers, but the
words you write can show you how to say them. This free one-day workshop
will focus on strategies for performing your work, providing tools,
tricks, and perspectives. We'll explore the multiple modes of
performance, and consider ways to use your outside voice, engage the
audience, and work in a variety of environments. Bring another poet's
poem you like, and a couple of your own; be ready to move around a
little, and to use a pen or pencil.

Sat. 1:00 -  3:30 pm
Apr. 28
*FREE *