[Local events] Sat. 6/23: 100 Years of Roses, writing excursion with Jesse Morse

David Abel david at thetextgarage.com
Tue Jun 19 23:32:25 PDT 2012

Join Jesse Morse this weekend for the first of the summer's one-day
writing "excursions"
sponsored by Multnomah Arts Center's Literary Arts Program: *

100 Years of Roses---Peninsula Park*
Saturday, June 23   10:00 am --- 2:00 pm

Details follow; and the full summer excursion schedule can be seen
at<http://www.multnomahartscenter.org/2012/05/08/writing/>
www.multnomahartscenter.org/2012/05/08/writing/
<http://www.multnomahartscenter.org/2012/05/08/writing/>

*WRITING PLACES*: *Creative Excursions In and Around Portland*
**This summer, take your pen and notebook out for a stroll, and enliven
your writing with a breath of fresh air! With local writers and artists
as your guides, explore public transit, the food cart phenomenon, the
farmer's market scene, Portland's original rose garden, a cross-cultural
landscape, or the view from Sauvie Island. Each one-day excursion is a
self-contained writing experience; register for one, or two---or for all
six! /The excursions are open to all; both beginning and experienced
writers are welcome.** Scholarships are available.
/*To register for any Literary Arts Excursion, call the Multnomah Arts
Center at **503-823-2787* <tel:503-823-2787>*.*
**

*100 Years of Roses---Peninsula Park *
PeninsulaPark was Portland's original Rose Garden. A century later, many
of the park's original features remain. Explore the history of this
often overlooked park, and consider how the park currently functions.
What happens to a city's landmarks? How does a city re-envision its
history? Read, walk, write, discuss, and leave time to smell the roses.
/Bring a sack lunch. Meet at/
/AJ Java, 6425 N. Albina Ave./
375277 Sat. 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Jun. 23 $30 [1 class]
Jesse Morse

*My Day on the MAX*
Spend a summer day traveling Portland by way of the city's rail lines.
As a class, we will explore the far reaches of North, South, East, and
West, while we write and draw our experiences, conveniently under the
roof of our urban transit system and rail stops. We'll make plans to
meet at a later date to collectively create a chapbook from selections
of work produced during the workshop. /MAX fare not included in price.
Meet at Lloyd Center/NE 11th MAX stop./
375275 Sat. 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Jun. 30 $37 [1 class]
Nate Orton & James Yeary

*Found Words at the Farmer's Market *
Translate the color, music, taste, sounds, and characters of the
midsummer festival on Portland's park blocks into writing. Wander
individually through the crowd, recording details that make this market,
this day, and these three blocks hum with a vibrancy all its own. We
will meet again to fold these findings into a piece of writing and share
our results after. /Bring a notebook, a timepiece, and a towel or seat
for the grass. Meet in front of PSU's Smith Memorial Student Union, SW
Park between Montgomery and Harrison./
378952 Sat. 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Jul. 7 $30 [1 class]
Judith Pulman

*The Taste of Place---Writing About Food *
Portland's exploding food cart scene has revolutionized eating. Come see
what all the fuss is about! We'll dine together at the outdoor tables,
and explore the art of writing through our taste buds and discussion of
food-related creative writing samples. Whether you write poems, stories,
or memoir, or are just craving a griddled mortadella and provolone
sandwich, you'll enjoy this culinary writing adventure. /Cost of food
not included in registration fee. Bring notebook, pen, and a healthy
appetite. Meet at 'Good Food Here' food cart pod, SE 43rd & Belmont/
378950 Sun. 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Jul. 8 $30 [1 class]
Lyssa Tall Anolik

*Borrowed Scenery---The Japanese Garden*
In this ideal setting for contemplation and observation, We'll consider
some of the basic principles behind the garden's design, and their
potential relationships to writing. We'll wander the garden paths and
write. Exercises will help jump-start the writing process. We'll meet
again to share our results, with time for feedback and ideas. /Garden
admission not included in workshop fee. Meet in the back room at World
Cup Coffee, NW 18th & Glisan./
375279 Sat. 12:00 - 5:00 pm
Aug. 18 $37 [1 class]
David Abel

*Inspired Field Journaling---A Sauvie Island Adventure*
Engage deeply with the world around you. Guided by prompts that inspire
interaction with the open fields, oak forest, and sunny shores of Oak
Island's Sturgeon Bay, we'll spend the afternoon writing and drawing. At
afternoon's end, we'll gather on a small beach with views of Mount Saint
Helen's, Mount Ranier, and Mount Hood to share our stories and sketches.
/Parking permit not included in workshop fee. Meet at Oak Island Trail
on Sauvie Island./
378942 Sun. 12:00 - 4:00 pm
Aug. 26 $30 [1 class]
Becca Deysach