[Local events] FWD: Sat. 4/6: Collins Gallery, Central Library, opening reception for "lone goose: the papers of a working press"

David Abel david at thetextgarage.com
Sat Mar 30 21:56:45 PDT 2013

/from Jim Carmin:/

You are cordially invited next *Saturday, April 6th, save the date*, to
the public opening reception for the current Collins Gallery exhibition,
*"lone goose: the papers of a working press,"* from *2:00-3:30 PM* in
the Collins Gallery, Multnomah County Central Library (801 SW 10th Ave,
97205).

Several years ago, press founder and proprietor *Sandy Tilcock* began
generously giving her papers to the John Wilson Special Collections,
which she continues to this day and that archive is the focus of this
exhibition (which continues until May 12th).
At the exhibition you'll view

    * finished books and broadsides, stunning examples of some of the
      best fine press printing today, with works authored by some of the
      finest writers today including Barry Lopez, Michael McGriff, Joy
      Harjo, Kim Stafford, and Ursula K. Le Guin (and many more);
    * correspondence;
    * printing samples;
    * binding models;
    * actual woodblocks;
    * barbed wire;
    * and much more, all used to create these wonderful books and
      broadsides, and all a part of the */lone goose press papers/ at
      Multnomah County Library*.

Sandy is coming from Eugene and she and I will say a few words at the
opening, and there will be light refreshments too! So, I hope you can
come as I know  you'll enjoy meeting Sandy and seeing her marvelous and
skillful work.

*ALSO: the first 50 folks at the opening will receive the latest lone
goose press Weathergram (photo attached), one of eleven different
Weathergrams that Sandy has produced. You can take it home with you and
hang it on a tree and in a few years, it will look like the weathered
one in the photo (at left).*

*A quick reminder of details:*
Opening reception of "lone goose: the papers of a working press"

    * Collins Gallery, Multnomah County Library, 801 SW 10th Ave,
      Portland OR, 97205
    * Saturday, April 6th, 2:00-3:30 PM
    * free and open to the public

More info here:
https://multcolib.org/events/lone-goose-papers-working-fine-press/10754

As always, feel free to contact me with questions or comments.

    Jim

ps: although today is technically the first day of the exhibition, those
of you who know me know that the exhibition really won't be at its peak
until the reception on April 6th!

--
Jim Carmin
John Wilson Special Collections Librarian