[Local events] FWD: Mon. 5/20, Walking Across the Pacific artists' talk

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sun May 19 16:08:20 PDT 2013

*Walking Across the Pacific
*
an artists' talk by

*James Jack & Toshiaki Tomita
*
*Monday, May 20
*5:00 pm

/*Just Another Gallery <http://thebestartgalleryinportland.com/>
*/1468 NE Alberta
(between Talisman and Fuel)

/On June 6, 2012 the Misawa pier arrived on the Oregon coast. Although
this gigantic debris floated for over a year in the Pacific it carried
more than a hundred varieties of organisms on it. The same Ocean that
carries debris also carries us, one Japanese artist and one American, as
we seek to form new relationships with the social landscape we inhabit.
We are pursuing these currents in the Pacific by nurturing stories,
questions, and dialogues occurring in our time of uncertainty. The
multiplicity of each person and place we encounter is crucial to this
ongoing project.

Walking Across the Pacific consists of public walks held with an
intimate group of people: telling stories while walking. We believe
stories are the fertile compost from which plants grow in the medium of
social networks. Over the past three years we have held five
participatory workshops in Hawai'i, Hokkaido, and Tokyo. Our goal is to
create a shared dynamic reality from these rich stories, not in the
universal sense but particular reality that is lived by each of us. This
project consists of an ongoing engagement with the social landscape.

/