[Local events] FWD: Sun 11/17, Susan Emmons at First Congregational

David Abel david at thetextgarage.com
Fri Nov 8 20:06:40 PST 2013

(from Martha Gies)

*Susan Emmons**
*
gives the annual Oliver Lecture

*Sunday, November 17**
*3:00 pm

*First Congregational Church**
*1126 SW Park Avenue

/*Free - Everyone Welcome*//*
*//**/

On Sunday, November 17, we will have an opportunity to hear one of
Portland's visionaries speak on the subject that has been her passion
for decades: how to end the homelessness that saddens our hearts and
shames our city. With numbers of homeless soaring to 15,000, this issue
has reached crisis proportions.*

Susan Emmons, serving as Executive Director of Northwest Pilot Project
for 26 years, has been a vocal and effective leader in the effort to
preserve, maintain or replace low-income housing. In this effort, she
has engaged and inspired city council, the financial community,
developers and planners with her vision of a city where everyone has
housing.

Northwest Pilot Project has been a force for compassion and innovation
in the task of caring for the elderly in downtown Portland since
1969. Over the decades, that mission has come to embrace the poor, the
disabled, and the homeless who, even if not yet elderly, line up
in desperation at their doors.

The annual Oliver Lecture is given in memory of Egbert S. Oliver
(1902-1989), noted teacher and Melville scholar who served as head of
the PSU English department for many years until his retirement as a
professor emeritus in 1973. The descendant of an Oregon pioneer
family, Oliver was an active member of First Congregational Church.

*/1,000 sleeping in shelters, 1,900 on the street, and an estimated
12,000 couchsurfing or doubled up with extended family. 2013
Point-in-Time Count of Homelessness in Portland/Multnomah County, Oregon.
Online at http://www.portlandoregon.gov/phb/article/451470/