[Local events] Reminder: TONIGHT Kaia Sand & Charles Hood

David Abel david at thetextgarage.com
Sat Jul 11 14:06:18 PDT 2015

/*Spare Room <http://www.flim.com/spareroom>*//*presents*/

*Kaia Sand
    Charles Hood
*
*Saturday, July 11*
7:00 pm

*Mother Foucault's Bookshop* <https://www.facebook.com/MotherFoucaults>
523 SE Morrison
503-236-2665

$5 suggested donation

*Kaia Sand* is the author of /A Tale of Magicians Who Puffed Up Money
that Lost its Puff /(Tinfish, forthcoming); /Remember to Wave/ (Tinfish,
2010); and /interval/ (Edge, 2004), and coauthor with Jules Boykoff of
/Landscapes of Dissent: Guerrilla Poetry and Public Space/ (Palm Press,
2008). From 2013-15, she shared an artist's residency with Garrick
Imatani at the City of Portland Archives and Records Center,
investigating surveillance documents the Portland Police kept on
activists from the late 1960s through the early 80s. Their collaboration
resulted in public installations at the North Portland Branch of the
Multnomah Public Library and Portland State University Academic &
Recreation Center, and participation in group shows at the Blaffer
Museum in Houston and University of Santa Barbara, California. This
fall, Sand will hold an international artist's residency at Largo das
Artes in Rio de Janeiro. She documents her work at kaiasand.net.

*Charles Hood* is a Research Fellow at the Nevada Museum of Art and
teaches at Antelope Valley College in the Mojave Desert. A reformed
birder, Hood's world bird list is a bit past 5,000; he also has seen 594
species of mammals in the wild (from aardwolf to zebra mouse, zorilla to
agouti), though that list too is on hold for now while his credit card
catches up with his ambition. He has been to fifty countries, to the
South Pole, and to within 600 miles of the North Pole, and has been an
artist in residence at the Annenberg Beach House, the Center for Land
Use Interpretation, Playa, and the National Science Foundation. His most
recent book, /South x South/ (Ohio University, 2013), is about aviation
and Antarctica; he's written about trees for Heyday Book's /L.A. Atlas/
project, is a staff writer for the Natural History Museum in Los
Angeles, and is circulating three poetry manuscripts, including one
about all the moons in the Solar System.

from*“Air the Fire”*

in the bright threat of attention

and the surefire glare

of recognition

you became a public person

mindful of those who live

downriver and downwind

from the malice of power

downtrodden by disregard
upbraided by rancor

     for them, you --
     heart-sure, afire
     with purpose
     -- you became

     a public person

*Kaia Sand*

*I Take Good Notes, Getting Ready to Fly South*

An airship or dirigible is a type of aerostat. An aerostat is a type of
lighter-than-air aircraft. An aircraft is a kind of bowtie worn by the
sky to piss off lakes and swamps, dirt, center-pivot-irrigation, forest
fires. Aerostatic aircraft stay aloft by heating gas slowly, over a
burner, then using a tube to blow it into shapes, a swan, even a
unicorn, what girls like before they like the flammability of boys. The
history of flight mostly has to do with blood and ice. No, the history
of flight in Antarctica can't be told just now, it is mostly too sad for
this time of night, but for example there were once two pilots, I met
them in a bar in McMurdo,

and the first one was telling the second one, shit, I had to turn back.
The other one said, well what for. First one, well my hair was on fire.
Second one said, I hate when that happens.

*Charles Hood**
*(from*/South x South/*)