[Local events] FWD: Sat-Sun Dec 5-6 & 12-13, Martha Banyas exhibition at Apa Ini

David Abel david at thetextgarage.com
Thu Nov 26 21:05:02 PST 2015

/*Valley and Shadow: Another Life*/
/Vitreous Enamel Sculptures 2009-2015/

*Martha Banyas*

*Apa Ini Gallery*
1825 SE 7th Avenue

*Saturdays and Sundays**
**December 5-6 and 12-13*
1:00 - 6:00 pm

Before I started Apa Ini, I was a teacher (Mt. Hood Community
College/Art Dept) and an artist. I was represented in Portland by the
wonderful William Jameson, and made lots of work from the early 70s
until the gallery closed at William's death. By that time I had resigned
my job at Mt. Hood (1985). I became enchanted by Asia on an extended
research grant in 1981. I was excited about travel, about Asia, about
understanding other cultures and wanted to experience art from a totally
different point of view. I started Apa Ini to support this dream, and
still managed to make art for another five years. Then the gallery
closed, the business grew and I concentrated on Apa Ini.

But for the entire twenty years of Apa Ini, I was observing makers of
all kinds, and all over not only SE Asia but also Turkey. I took
thousands of photos of people making things, I touched and handled
uncountable thousands of handmade things. I talked to makers about what
they were making and why. I lived for months at a time in Asia and
Turkey. I kept out special pieces which I treasured because those makers
had embedded something in those objects that touched me deeply.

In 2005, due largely to economics, but also to fatigue, I closed my
business, said my goodbyes and returned happily to being an artist,
working in my studio, and living in Oak Grove.  In 2009, that beautiful
world came to a screeching halt when I was diagnosed with breast cancer.
After an initial period of dread and immobility, I realized I wanted to
use my beloved material of enamel-on-metal to make sculpture about this
pivotal time in my life. And I wanted to describe the experiences I was
having using my history and memories of Asia to tell my story.

/Valley and Shadow: Another Life/ is a series of enamel wall sculptures.
It was a five-year project. I completed the final of twelve pieces this
past spring, just before starting to work on the final Apa Ini sale.
These pieces are not for sale, but before they go traveling for
exhibition, or find a permanent location, I wanted to share them with my
community of appreciators, enthusiasts, and lovers of beauty.