[Local events] FWD: Thu 9/3, Melissa Monroe at Roll-Up

David Abel david at thetextgarage.com
Tue Sep 1 00:48:17 PDT 2015

/*Why Is It Colder at the Top of the Mountain If It Is Closer to the
Sun? */ <http://www.rollupspace.com/exhibitions/>

*New paintings by Melissa Monroe*

*September 3-27*

/Opening reception:/
*First Thursday, September 3*
6:00 - 9:00 pm

*Roll-Up Photo Studio + Gallery* <http://www.rollupspace.com/>
1715 SE Spokane St
503-267-5835

/This exhibition, originally scheduled for Glyph Cafe, as been moved to
Roll-Up, a new gallery in Sellwood, owned and operated by Anna Daedalus
& Kerry Davis./

*Gallery hours:* Wed-Fri 12:00 - 5:00 pm; Sat-Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm;
and by appointment

--

*Melissa Monroe *is a self-taught artist living and working in Portland.
She completed her first piece of visual art in late 2013, following a

The fulcrum of Monroe’s artistic vision is self exploration, which she
pursues in a style distinguished by its vulnerability and frankness. Her
work seeks a balance between abstraction and emotional form, asking such
questions as

    What does emotion look like in the absence of human physical expression?
    What does it take for an image to be understood across cultural and
    linguistic barriers?
    In the age of the internet, has our self reliance faded?
    Are we still capable of making up our own answers?

Monroe is a single mother to three young children and paints every day.