[Local events] Fischer, Heuving, & Cohen @ Mother Foucault's 2/16

James Yeary juniorvarsityyardsale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:08:26 PST 2017

Norman Fischer, Jeanne Heuving, & Alicia Cohen
<http://flim.com/spareroom>*Thursday,
February 16*
7:00 pm

*Mother Foucault's Bookshop* <https://www.facebook.com/MotherFoucaults>
523 SE Morrison

*Norman Fischer *is a poet, essayist, and Zen Buddhist priest. A graduate
of the University of Iowa Writer's Workshop, his latest poetry titles
are *Magnolias
All At Once* (Singing Horse, 2015) *Escape This Crazy Life of Tears: Japan
2010* (Tinfish, 2014), and *The Strugglers* (Singing Horse, 2013). Just out
from Chax: *any would be if *(tanka). His latest prose works are *What Is
Zen? Plain Talk for a Beginner's Mind* (Shambhala Press, 2016), and
*Experience:
Thinking, Writing, Language and Religion *(University of Alabama Press,
2015). He lives with his wife Kathie on a cliff overlooking the Pacific in
Muir Beach, CA.

*Jeanne Heuving*'s *The Transmutation of Love and Avant-Garde Poetics* is
just out from the Modern and Contemporary Poetics series at the University
of Alabama Press. Her other books include the cross-genre *Incapacity*
(Chiasmus
Press), *Transducer* (Chax 2008), and *Omissions Are Not Accidents:  Gender
in the Art of Marianne Moor*e (Wayne State U Press 1992). Her long poem
"Miss Lonelyhearts" appears in *Hambone* 20, and she has essays and reviews
in *Twentieth Century American Women Poets* (Cambridge), *The Fate of
Difficulty in Contemporary Poetry* (Northwestern), *American Literature*,
and *Modern Philology*. Heuving directs the MFA program in Creative Writing
& Poetics at the University of Washington, Bothell, and is on the graduate
faculty in the English Department at the University of Washington, Seattle.

*Alicia Cohen *is the author of three books of poetry: *Bear*; *Debts and
Obligations* (a finalist for the Oregon Book Award); and *Coherer*. Her
critical writing on poetics has appeared in journals including *How2*,
*Ecopoetics*, and *Traffic*. She collaborates on the ecological transition
project Radio Hopes and Dreams with, among others, Norwegian artist
Margrethe Kolstad Brekke. Presently, she lives in Portland.

*****

*Save the date!*

February 19
*Chris Piuma*
*Jen Coleman*
*Music by Alison Dennis*
Passages Bookshop

February 25
*James Sherry*
*Manuel Arturo Abreu*
Passages Bookshop

***

*Poem Written in Paris*

Not sated yet with power

To do what to whom

For whatever reason suffices

Unter den Linden

In turn a squeamishness abandons me I am cruel in my cruel art

More severed body parts not a pretty

Poem. Here in this poem

No one dies yet

Because everyone's yet a song

Floating up and off on wind that shakes treetops and grass tips

And rolls far off and onward across from sea into night -- this is personal
--

I am that song all its severed notes

Coat my lyric tongue

Words fail me so I fail them in retaliation

I am here to stay and say

This or that not to frighten myself with my sheltering song --

Only my best friends know but even they miss the measure of my love

Yet cannot disregard the friendship of this poem's several words

Now I grasp the pen

In this lively Parisian scene

Full of pleasure, far from meaning

*Norman Fischer*

*FURROW*

    from *Transducer*

How all is a fertile field ever threatening
Plowed too close like an ominous sky
Earth ever opened the possibility of
Into the plowed furrowed lined earth
A fertile plow into the staid forestation
Into the silvered peat moss lined with
A jewelry box felted with diamonds

__________

seeds with their hooded black jackets
carapace of insect left to wither in the wind
to mash with a mallet to get the insides out
a round hole bored in the seed by a weevil
seeds of the penstemons and the mulleins
are easy to remove by the crushing method
to remove the seed heads the cones must be
split open washed inside minute stuffs

__________

the possibility of light falling onto his face
the possibility of walking into a sunlit alcove
the sunlit alcove fitting rippling like a glove
the glove moving from finger tip to forearm
silky on flesh receptive to being touched
harvested when a light brown will turn black
deadening hollow black seeds refusing

__________

What does not go away this
Mascared eyes, Cleopatra