Subject: Wireless Microphone Licensing FAQ (USA)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro

[Last modified 09-Mar-01]

The latest version of this file can be accessed via my web page:
http://www.rdrop.com/users/billmc

Wireless Microphone Licensing FAQ
Bill McFadden
[email-masked]

This is a FAQ for wireless microphone licensing in the US.  Please send
comments, additions, and corrections to me.  Changes preceded by "|".
Relevant FCC rule sections are shown in brackets.  This FAQ provided for
information purposes only.  Use at your own risk.

|ATTENTION!  The FCC has changed its licensing system again.  Fortunately,
|most applications can now be done on the web.  Form 601 replaces Form 600.
|I will update this FAQ as I learn more.  In the meantime, see:
http://wtbwww05.fcc.gov/

  Q: What?  You need a license for a wireless mic?

  A: That's what the FCC says, unless it operates in the 49 MHz, AM/FM
| broadcast, 902-928 MHz or 2.4 GHz band.  [Part 15, 90.113, 90.265(b)]

  Q: What will happen to me if I use my wireless mic without a license?

  A: Probably nothing.  The FCC doesn't appear to be interested in
  enforcing this requirement, but it may if you create interference or
  someone files a complaint.  Most wireless mic users are not even aware of
  the licensing requirement.  Many who are view unlicensed operation as
  being no worse than driving at 5 MPH over the speed limit and choose to
  "beg forgiveness rather than ask permission."

  Q: Can anybody get a wireless mic license?

  A: Only businesses, schools, charitable organizations, churches, and
  hospitals are eligible under Part 90.  Part 74 Subpart H covers wireless
  mics used by broadcasters but is beyond the scope of this FAQ.
  [90.75(a)]

  Q: How difficult is it to get a license?

  A: It's a little difficult to fill out the forms if you've never done it
  before, but this FAQ should make it easier.  If you follow the procedures
  properly, the FCC will almost certainly grant the license.  [90.143(a)]

  Q: How long does it take to get a license?

  A: Don't hold your breath.  Remember, this is the government.  It took me
  18 weeks, including a week to fill out the forms.  Your mileage may
  vary.  [90.143(b)]

  Q: How much does a license cost?

  A: $75 for 5 years.  [90.149(a), 1998 FCC fee filing guide]

  Q: How do I pick an operating frequency?

  A: Find out which frequencies are available for the microphone(s) you
  plan to buy.  Next, monitor those frequencies for a week using a
  scanner.  You should search at least 100 kHz on either side of the
  frequency of interest.  Frequencies that contain weak or no signals
  should be safe to use.

  Q: What frequencies are available?

  A: The following frequencies are available under Part 90 (MHz):  169.445,
  169.505, 170.245, 170.305, 171.045, 171.105, 171.845, and 171.905.
  [90.265(b)]

  Q: What about other wireless mic frequencies not listed above?

  A: Frequencies in the following bands may be used by broadcast stations
  or networks, cable TV operators, motion picture producers, and TV program
  producers under Part 74 Subpart H (MHz):  26.1-26.48, 54-72, 76-88,
  161.625-161.775, 174-216, 450-451, 455-456, 470-608, 614-806, 944-952.
  See CFR 47 Part 74 Subpart H for more information.  [74.802(a),
  74.832(a)]

  Q: What if I'm not one of the entities listed above?  Can I still use a
  wireless mic?

  A: The best thing to do in this situation is to call the FCC at
  888-225-5322 and ask what frequencies you are eligible to use.

  Q: I've decided to apply for a license.  What do I need to do first?

  A: You need to get an application from the FCC and a current copy of FCC
  rules Part 90.  You can buy the rule book from the US Government Printing
  Office (202-783-3238) or your local Printing Office Book Store.  Ask for
  47 CFR Part 90.  You can also download it from the FCC's web site at:
  http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/  [Form 600 instructions]

  Q: Where can I get the license application?

  A: Call your local FCC field office or the main information line at
  888-225-5322, and ask for Forms 600 and 159.  You can also download them
  from the FCC's web site at: http://www.fcc.gov/formpage.html  [90.117,
  90.119(a)(1)]

  Q: I have the forms and a copy of the rules.  What do I need to do next?

  A: First of all, fill out Forms 600 and 159.  Each item must be complete,
  correct, and typewritten, or the FCC will send it back, and you'll have
  to start all over again.  I wasted 10 weeks on my first attempt because
  of some missing information.  See the Appendix below for a guideline.
  Next, make out a check or money order for $75.00, payable to "FCC."  Mail
  the forms and the $75 to:  Federal Communications Commission, Wireless
  Bureau Applications, P.O. Box 358130, Pittsburgh, PA  15251-5130.
  [90.123(a), 90.123(b), 90.127(a)(2), 90.139(b), 90.141, 1998 FCC fee
  filing guide]

  Q: Does my application require frequency coordination?

  A: No.  The FCC will forward your application to the Government
  coordinator for you.  [90.175(i)(2), 90.265(b)(4)]

  Q: How do I determine my geographic coordinates?

  A: Get a USGS 7.5 minute topographic map for your area.  Pinpoint your
  location on the map and determine its coordinates to the nearest second.
  I've also heard that you can obtain your coordinates from the county
  assessor's office.  Another possibility is to use a GPS receiver, if you
  happen to have one handy.  USGS maps cost a few dollars, and you can buy
  them from the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey, Washington, D.C., 20242) or
  sources listed in the yellow pages under "maps."  [Form 600 instructions]

  Q: What if I make a mistake on my application or change my mind?

  A: You can amend or withdraw your application in writing any time before
  the license is granted.  Sign and submit it in the same manner as for the
  original application.  Contact the FCC at 888-225-5322 for assistance.
  [90.131]

  Q: How can I check on the status of my application?

  A: First, there's no point in checking less than 60 days after you mail
  your application, because the FCC won't have any information for you.
  After 60 days, you can call 888-225-5322 for information.  If they ask
  for the filing number, tell them you don't have one yet.  They will ask
  for the applicant's name and zip code and the class of service (tell them
  "business").  They will tell you the application status and give you a
  filing number that you can use the next time you call.  Check back once a
  month.

  Q: What do I do when the license arrives?

  A: Post the license or a legible photocopy in plain sight near the
  wireless mic receiver or PA system controls, and enjoy the use of your
  microphone.  [90.437(a), 90.437(b)]

  Q: How do I renew my license after the five years is up?

  A: The FCC will send you a renewal form, 574-R, within 60 days of the
  license expiration.  If no changes need to be made, or only the mailing
  address or licensee name have changed (without changes in ownership,
  control, or corporate structure), you can sign and send it back with
  $75.  [90.119(e), 90.135(d)]

  Q: My license is about to expire, but the FCC didn't send me a renewal
  form.  Now what do I do?

  A: If there are no changes, submit Forms 405-A and 159 to Federal
  Communications Commission, 574R/405A Station Renewal, P.O. Box 358245,
  Pittsburgh, PA 15251-5245.  [90.119(b)(1), 1998 FCC fee filing guide]

  Q: I received a renewal in the mail more than 90 days before my license
  expires.  Should I submit it?

  A: Unless it is a 574-R from the FCC, it is a commercial solicitation from
  a private company that will submit your application for a fee (in
  addition to the FCC renewal fee).  Save your money and do it yourself.

  Q: What is the deadline for renewing my license?

  A: You have to file a renewal application at least 30 but no more than 90
  days before the expiration date, or apply for reinstatement within 30
  days after the expiration date.  Otherwise, the license will be
  cancelled.  [90.127(b), 90.149(b)]

  Q: I submitted my renewal before the deadline, but the license expired
  before I received the new one.  Do I have to stop transmitting?

  A: No, the license is still valid until the FCC has completed processing
  of the renewal.  [90.127(b)]

  Q: I missed the renewal deadline.  What can I do?

  A: You can apply for a reinstatement up to 30 days after the license
  expires.  File Form 574-R or 405-A as you would for a renewal.  If more
  than 30 days have elapsed since the expiration, you must apply for a new
  license.  [90.119(b)(1), 90.127(b), 90.149(a), 1998 FCC fee filing guide]

  Q: What do I do if I need to make a change to my license?

  A: For changes in mailing address or licensee name (without changes in
     ownership, control, or corporate structure):

        If the license is not due for renewal, submit Form 405-A to Federal
        Communications Commission, Gettysburg, PA, 17326.  No fee is
        required.

        If the license is due for renewal, submit Forms 405-A and 159 (or
        form 574-R, if you received one) to Federal Communications
        Commission, 574R/405A Station Renewal, P.O. Box 358245, Pittsburgh,
        PA 15251-5245, within 30 days of the expiration date.  The fee is
        $75.

     For changes in frequency, number of transmitters, area of operation,
     ownership, control, or corporate structure, submit Forms 600 and 159
     to Federal Communications Commission, Wireless Bureau Applications,
     P.O. Box 358130, Pittsburgh, PA 15251-5130.  The fee is $45 (or $75 if
     the license is due for renewal).  [90.119(a)(3), 90.119(b)(2), 90.135,
     1998 FCC fee filing guide]

  Q: What can I do if someone else is using my frequency?

  A: Not much.  Wireless mics operate on a secondary basis, meaning that
  you can't interfere with primary users (e.g., federal government) but
  have to accept interference from them.  If you are experiencing this kind
  of interference, your only choice may be to change frequency.  You might
  be able to exchange your microphone for one that operates on a different
  frequency or have the manufacturer re-tune it, but you'll need to get a
  license for the new frequency.  If the interference occurs only when your
  wireless mic transmitter is off, you can probably eliminate the
  interference by increasing the squelch threshold on your wireless mic
  receiver.  If you are experiencing interference from another wireless mic
  user, you may be able to find out who it is by listening to their
  transmissions.  Failing that, walk or drive around with a scanner until
  you pinpoint the source.  It is probably less than a mile away.  Contact
  the other user and try to work out a compromise.  [90.265(b)(4)]

  Q: Do I need to announce my call sign at regular intervals?

  A: No.  Wireless mics are exempt from this requirement.  [90.425(d)(9)]

  Q: Who can I call for assistance?

  A: Call the FCC customer assistance line at 888-225-5322.  I don't
  recommend calling the local field office, because one of them gave me bad
  advice that resulted in my having to resubmit an application.

  APPENDIX A: Information resources

     FCC assistance:
     call toll-free 888-225-5322

     FCC rules:
     http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/

     FCC forms:
     http://www.fcc.gov/formpage.html

     1998 FCC fee filing guide:
     http://www.fcc.gov/fees/98wtbguide.txt

     Wireless microphone tutorials:
     http://www.yale.edu/dramat/sound/wireless.html
     http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/wireless.htm


  APPENDIX B: Filling out Form 600 (specific instructions for wireless mics)

  Main Form

    Filing Fee section:
    (a) Enter "PALR" for a new license or renewal
        Enter "PALM" for a license modification
    (b) Enter "1"
    (c) Enter "$75.00" for a new license or renewal
        Enter "$45.00" for a license modification
    (d) Enter "$75.00" for a new license or renewal
 	Enter "$45.00" for a license modification

    1-8   Enter applicant information (name/address of organization applying
          for license)
    9-16  Enter contact information (if different from applicant)
    17.   Enter "N"
    18.   Enter "D"
    19.   Enter "I" for new license, "M" for modification, or "R" for renewal
    20.   If renewing or modifying an existing license, enter the call sign
    21.   Leave blank
    22.   Enter "P"
    23.   Enter "I"
    24.   Enter "N"
    25.   Enter "N"
    26.   Enter "IG"
    27.   Leave blank
    28.   Enter "N"
    29.   Enter "N"
    30-33 Leave blank
    34-37 Enter "N"
    38.   Enter "Y"
    39.   Fill in appropriate letter
          Enter "I" if you are a sole proprietor
    40.   Enter name of person signing form
    41.   Enter title of person signing form
    42-43 Sign and date the form.  The application must be signed by the
          applicant, if the applicant is an individual; by one of the
          partners, if the applicant is a partnership; by an officer or
          authorized employee if the applicant is a corporation; or by a
          member who is an officer, if the applicant is an unincorporated
          association.  [1.1913(a), 90.125]

  Schedules A, B, C

    Not needed

  Schedule D

    Licensee Name: Enter name of applicant
    Radio Service: Enter "IG"
    Call Sign or Station Location:
      Enter city, state if applying for a new license, otherwise enter call
      sign

    D1.   Place a "N" in the brackets if applying for a new license
  	  Place a "M" in the brackets to modify an existing license
  	  Place a "R" in the brackets to renew an existing license
 	  Place a "X" in the brackets to reinstate an expired license
          Place a "A" in the brackets to transfer license to another party
    D2.   Leave blank
    D3.   If modifying an existing license, list proposed modifications.
          Otherwise leave blank.
    D4.   Leave blank
    D5-D6 Enter address and phone number of primary location where wireless
          mic will be used
    D7-D9 Leave blank
    D10.  Leave blank
    D11.  Enter "0"
    D12.  Describe your business or activity.  Describe how wireless mic
          will be used.
    D13.  Enter "90.75(a)(1)" if applicant is a business
          Enter "90.75(a)(2)" if applicant is a church, school, or charity
          Enter "90.75(a)(4)" if applicant is a hospital, clinic, etc.
    D14.  Leave blank

  Schedule E

    Licensee Name: Enter name of applicant
    Radio Service: Enter "IG"
    Call Sign or Station Location:
      Enter city, state if applying for a new license, otherwise enter call
      sign

    E1.   Look at the map used to derive the geographic coordinates.  It
          should say something like "North American Datum 1927."  Enter "2"
          for NAD27 coordinates, "8" for NAD83 coordinates, "O" for other.
          Most maps are NAD27.
    E2-E8 Leave blank
    E9.   Enter "0.2" on line G
    E10.  Enter "P on line G
    E11.  Enter your geographic coordinates on line G
          This is the location of the wireless mic receiver
    E12.  Leave blank

  Schedule F

    Not needed

  Schedule G

    Licensee Name: Enter name of applicant
    Radio Service: Enter "IG"
    Call Sign or Station Location:
      Enter city, state if applying for a new license, otherwise enter call
      sign
    
    LOC:  Enter "G" (cross out the preprinted "A")
    G1.   Enter the wireless mic frequency in MHz
    G2.   Enter "MO"
    G3.   Enter the number of wireless mic transmitters you have (or will
          have) that can be used on this frequency
    G4.   Enter "20K0F3E"
    G5.   Enter "0.05"
    G6-G8 Leave blank

    Add a line for each additional frequency you plan to use


  APPENDIX C: Filling out Form 405A (coming soon)


  APPENDIX D: Filling out Form 159

  This form must accompany Forms 600 and 405A if a fee is owed.

  1.    Enter "358130" if filing Form 600
        Enter "358245" if filing Form 405A

  2.    Enter the name of the person or company making the payment
  3.    Enter "$75.00" for a new license or renewal
        Enter "$45.00" for a license modification
  4-9   Enter address and daytime telephone number of payer
  11-17 If applicant and payer names are different, enter applicant name,
        address and daytime telephone number
  19A   If renewing or modifying a license, enter call sign
  20A   Enter "PALR" for a new license or renewal
        Enter "PALM" for a license modification
  21A   Enter "1"
  22A   Enter "$75.00" for a new license or renewal
        Enter "$45.00" for a license modification
  23A   Leave blank
  24A   Leave blank
  25.   Enter "0" in leftmost box, followed by:
          Payer's social security of payer, if payer is an individual, or
          Payer's taxpayer identification number
  26.   If applicant and payer names are different, enter applicant's social
        security number or taxpayer identification number
  27.   Print your name in the blank and sign where indicated
  28.   Fill out this section if paying by credit card


  APPENDIX E: Filling out Form 574R

  Items 1-5: Should be already filled out by FCC
  Item 6: Check all boxes that apply

  Print name and telephone number of person signing the form.

  Sign and date the form.  The application must be signed by the applicant,
  if the applicant is an individual; by one of the partners, if the
  applicant is a partnership; by an officer or authorized employee if the
  applicant is a corporation; or by a member who is an officer, if the
  applicant is an unincorporated association.  [1.1913(a), 90.125]

  Applicant Classification: Check appropriate box

----- END OF WIRELESS MICROPHONE LICENSING FAQ -----